The McCalls of Angelina County descend from Duncan McCall of Mississippi. Two sons of Duncan
McCall, Daniel C. and Thomas D., moved to Angelina County in the mid-1870s
Daniel C. McCall Line
Daniel C. McCall
Daniel Claudius McCall founded one of the more prominent families in Burke. The
McCall family moved from Clarke County, Mississippi after 1870. In 1860
they lived at Beaver Dam in Clarke County, where they were prosperous landowners.
In 1860 the McCalls owned real estate valued at $8000 and personal property
valued at $14166, or $176,000 and $311,000 in 2005, respectively.
Daniel married Miranda Satcher, and they had the following children:
- Daniel Thaddeus Constantine (1849-1851)
- Mary Ezell "Mollie" (1851-????), who married Berry T. McCarty, son of Orange McCarty, Sr.
- Daniel Bynum, Jr. (1853-????), who married Laura Jane McCarty,
daughter of Orange McCarty, Sr..
- Maranda Eren (1855-????)
- Alonzo Sylvanus (1857-????)
- James B. , who married Etta Austin.
In 1870 the McCalls were living at Enterprise, Clarke Co., Mississippi.
It appears that they were living in an entirely different environment in
1870, suggesting that they had been displaced from their farm. By that time
their wealth had decreased substantially. Their real estate value had dropped
to $3000 and personal property to $1000, or $42,000 and $14,000 respectively
in 2005 dollars. As a result of the Civil War the McCall's wealth was reduced
from almost $500,000 to $56,000 in current dollars. These factors probably
explain their decision to move to Texas.
Their neighbors in 1880 include Ryans, Weeks, Arringtons, and Ashworths,
which suggests that the McCalls (and Arringtons) first settled near Ryan
Chapel Church. That would have been consistent with settlement patterns
in the area since Burke did not yet exist. It appears that the coming of
the railroad drew them to Burke. Daniel McCall later owned land as far north
as Lufkin, and his grandson Bloomer McCall ran a large farm at Hoshall.
At the time of her marriage to Arthur Arrington, Emma Johnson lived at Hoshall
with or near the McCalls.
Daniel B. McCall
Daniel Bynum McCall was a long time merchant at Burke where he ran the Burke
and McCall store in partnership with Lee Burke. Daniel also served as railroad
agent for the HE&WT railroad, telegraph agent, and as postmaster from
1898 to 1914, when he was succeeded by his daughter Ina.
Daniel married Laura Jane McCarty, daughter of
Orange McCarty, Sr., and they had the following children:
- Eva Wynona (1877-????), who married Lee Burke
- Miranda (1879-????)
- Gee (1880-????), a son
- Ina Eret (1883-????), who never married
- Martha (Mattie (1884-????), who married a Kinsolving
- Annie L. (1885-????)
- Hugh S.(1887-????),who became a dentist in Shreveport, Louisiana.
- Ezell M.(1891-????)
- Sarah Emma (1893-????), who married Carmen Brazil, and is the mother
of prominent Lufkin attorney Dan Brazil.
- Charles Daniel (1895-????), who became a physician in San Antonio.
Alonzo S. McCall
Alonzo S. McCall (1857-????), a son of Daniel McCall, Sr., married Candace D. Husband (1864-????). They had the following children:
- James D. McCall (1884-????)
- Mollie (1898-????), who married Charlie McCarty
- Sadie C. (1900-????)
- Bloomer E. (1903-????), who married Jacquetta Dunn and had two sons, Homer and Charles Mark.
- Drucilla (1905-????)
James D. McCall
James D. McCall, a son of Alonzo McCall, married Virginia D. _____. They had the following children:
- W. Fay (1914-????), who married Robert E. Weisinger
- Bennie Curry (1915-????), who married James Hollis Ashworth
- Queen Esther (1918-????), who married a Stringer and operated Lufkin Barbecue Bar (Stringer's)
- W. Randolph (1921-????)
Bloomer E. McCall
Bloomer McCall lived on a farm southeast of Hoshall between Old Texas 35 and U. S. 59. He
married Jacquetta Dunn. They had two sons:
- Homer Gene, who married Toni Lynn Gill
- Charles Mark, who married Wanda Lynn Bell
Thomas McCall Line
Thomas D. McCall
Thomas D. McCall, son of Duncan McCall and Nancy McCall, was born September 30, 1834. He was
married about 1857 to Sarah A. Thomas, who was born September 14, 1844. In 1860 and 1866 the
family lived in Wayne Co., Mississippi. They moved to Angelina County about 1876 and lived
there in 1880. Sarah died in 1896 and Thomas in 1901.
- Mary (1861-1944), married Thomas J. Sykes andhad a daughter Leona (1888)
- Alonzo (1862-1922), single
- Nancy Ezell (1864-1902), who married Malcom Henry Curry
- Daniel C. (1866-1890, single)
- James B. (1870-1936)
- Sarah "Sally" (1872)
- John (1873)
- Eadora L.(1876)
- Leona (1879)
- Connie (1880)
James B. McCall
James B. McCall (1870-1936), a son of Thomas D. McCall, Sr., married Etta Austin (1885-1927) about 1900. Both are buried at Ryan Chapel Cemetery. They had the following children:
- J. C. (1901-1904). Buried at Ryan Chapel Cemetery.
- Eudora (1905-????),who married George H. Dikes.
- Thomas Austin (1909-1938),who married Philippa Davis. He died of pneumonia in 1938 and is buried at Ryan Chapel Cemetery.
- Oneta (1912-????), who married Clayton Largent
- James Talley ((1915-????), whose wife Jonnie was a librarian at Kurth Memorial Library in Lufkin.
- Charles Brooks (1919-????)
- Eugene Byford (1921-????)
- Leo (1927-????)
- Cleo (1927-????)
- 1860 Census, Clarke Co., Mississippi
- 1870 Census, Clarke Co., Mississippi
- 1880 Census, Angelina Co., Texas, Subdivision 8, Page 14, Dwelling
122 (Daniel McCall)
- 1900 Census, Angelina Co., Texas, Precinct 4, Page 10, Dwelling 91 (Daniel McCall/Alonzo S. McCall)
- 1900 Census, Angelina Co., Texas, Precinct 4, Page 29, Dwelling 185
(Daniel B. McCall)
- 1910 Census, Angelina Co., Texas, Precinct 4, Page 7, Dwelling 68 (Daniel B. McCall)
- 1910 Census, Angelina Co., Texas, Precinct 4, Page 3, Dwelling 26 (James B. McCall)
- 1920 Census, Angelina Co., Texas, Precinct 4, Page 15, Dwelling 148 (Daniel B. McCall)
- 1920 Census, Angelina Co., Texas, Precinct 4, Page 3, Dwelling 24 (Alonzo S. McCall)
- 1920 Census, Angelina Co., Texas, Precinct 4, Page 1, Dwelling 1 (James B. McCall)
- 1920 Census, Angelina Co., Texas, Precinct 4, Page 26, Dwelling 277 (James D. McCall)
- 1930 Census, Angelina Co., Texas, Precinct 4, Page 4, Dwelling 68 (Alonzo S. McCall)
- 1930 Census, Angelina Co., Texas, Precinct 4, Page 5, Dwelling 69 (James D. McCall)
- McCall Genealogy, freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gowenrf/mccallms030.htm