The first church in the Burke area was Ryan Chapel Methodist Church founded by the Ryan brothers at Pine Valley, approximately two miles southwest of the town of Burke. In 1885 a Baptist minister and co-founder of Bradley Prairie School, Stephen James Havard, probably lived at Bradley Prairie (later Burke) and presumably conducted services. A Methodist minister, David M. Stovall, was in Burke as early as 1886, presumably serving as minister of a church, when he also served as postmaster.
Burke Methodist Church was founded in 1889, and David Stovall may have been its first pastor since he lived at Burke from about 1886 through at least 1910.
Burke Baptist Church was founded in 1905, but Burke Baptist may have grown out of a church presumably pastored by Stephen James Havard who lived at Burke as early as 1885 when he co-founded Bradley Prairie School.