Harvey Belote was a farmer living on the western edge of Bradley Prairie in the area that became Burke when the railroad arrived.
Belote owned 540 acres, which appears to include most of what became the town of Burke. The land was inherited by his wife Nannie Guinn from her parents, who at one time owned 5000 acress in Angelina County. Part of the land owned by the Guinns was at Ryan Chapel, which they had donated for the church.
The following locations are associated with Harvey Belote and give some idea of his land holdings:
According to the Belote genealogy, Belote was born in 1852 in Saulsbury, Hardeman Co., Tennessee, the son of George W. Belote and Rachel S. Glass. In 1854 his father died, and and his mother moved with all the children to Marion Co., Texas. Subsequently he moved to Angelina County. In 1877 he married a widow, Nancy Catherine Gann (Nannie) Guinn. She is buried at the Belote-Spivey Cemetery on the southeast edge of Burke, presumably on land owned by Belote. In 1904 he married Lena Lee Dougan, who appears to have been the daughter of Mrs. Bloomfield, who lived just north of the post office.
Belote died in 1938 in Houston and is buried at Ryan Chapel Cemetery.