The original Burke School was a one room building constructed shortly after the town's founding in 1882. Within a few years it had been expanded to 3 rooms.
In 1910 voters approved a bond proposal to build a brick school building, which was opened in 1911. That building was used until it was torn down in 1935.
Burke School in 1928
In 1935 a new, larger building was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). That building was used as a school until consolidation.with the Diboll schools in 1964.
Burke School Building in the late 1960's
Aside from use as a school, the building was used as a polling place for primary and general elections. After consolidation the building was used as a senior citizens' center, and the auditorium was home of the Big B Jamboree music show for several years.